I’ve just finished reading an advance copy of “Real Flow” by Brandi Olson. Here are a few quotes that resonated with me:

“It’s much easier to work within the constraints of human evolution and the laws of physics than it is to change them.”
“The reality is that the human brain can’t be divided into percentages and parts. Our brains just don’t work that way.”

“Two of the most frequently used executive functions are goal shifting and rule activation.” [These are the main activities in “multitasking”, or rather “task switching”]
The bottleneck phenomenon: “the frontal cortex of your brain can only perform one executive functioning task at a time.”

“If you’re trying to accomplish two tasks at once, you will spend about 40% of your time and energy context switching, leaving only 60% brainpower to actually complete those tasks.”
“A study in the 2013 Annual Review of Psychology found that it takes up to 10 times longer to successfully complete a new task when the goal and the rules change at the same time.”

If you’re interested in learning more about how to use these insights to help your organization become more effective and get better outcomes while reducing burnout and dissatisfaction, you can pre-order the book now at https://lnkd.in/gDyCFH7b It officially comes out on October 5th, 2022 (two weeks from today).

Originally posted on 2022-09-21 at 18:28 via https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn%3Ali%3Ashare%3A6978419761776885760

Was it really ever about “survival of the fittest”? Wasn’t it really “survival of the most adaptable?” Fittest meaning ability to adapt? Fitness is always relative to context. When context changes, what was once “fit” is no longer, and adaptability becomes key. (For context: https://lnkd.in/gmSGhnKH) Especially for us humans, who pretend (at large) to be exempt from what Darwin originally called “natural selection”.

Originally posted on 2022-09-08 at 01:41 via https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn%3Ali%3Ashare%3A6973455138900385792